St Lucia is the Home of UQ, and its’ residential population have made sure there is everything a student could need right on your doorstep. The local area is packed full of student-friendly pricing for its many, many restaurants, bars and cafés. Many often joke about never having to leave the suburb, as you can find education, shopping and even employment, all within a few minutes’ walk from your home.
Things to do
- Toowong Village – a quick bus trip or walk, and you’ll arrive at Toowong village, the closest major shopping and entertainment complex.
- The Regatta Hotel – An iconic Brisbane establishment known for its student nights and the considerable rebuilds that occurred after both major flood events in Brisbane.
- The R.E. Hotel – The local. Some say you never really studied at UQ if you didn’t get to attend a toga party here.
- Hawken Road - Cheap Food and Drink on the strip, and a convenient IGA to grab a Gatorade for the next morning or maybe some late night Mi Goreng before pay day.
- Chai’s Takeaway and Convenience Store - Sir Fred Schonell Dr. A great local Chinese Grocer and Takeaway.
- St Lucia Golf Links – For when you need to whack a few, St Lucia Golf Links is a world class venue, often hosting our sporting elite and other local celebrity.
- The Riverside Running Track – a 20km unbroken, dedicated riverside loop from St Lucia, through Toowong and South Bank, finishing up at the green bridge. This means you can run or ride safely, without fear of traffic nearby.
Location & Transport
There is no denying the University dominates the suburb of St Lucia, and with the 10’s of thousands that attend classes there each day, there are loads of public transport options every minute. Living local will mean you’ll never have to worry about finding a park on exam days.
- The Green Bridge is a foot & bus bridge that shortcuts all of the inner city traffic, allowing you to get anywhere, fast on the Brisbane Bus Expressway.
- St Lucia City Cat terminal is the beginning of the City Cat Line and operates every day from early morning until the very late evenings. An extremely picturesque method of public transport.
- Toowong Train Station within a few minutes’ walk. Quick and easy for longer journeys.