Newmarket’s affordability and spacious outlay make it an extremely appealing area to live while studying. While it’s still super close to Both QUT Campuses and UQ Herston, the suburb caters to a range of families and students. The Newmarket Hotel is the local watering hole, with some great FREE (yay!) comedy there each week and some very student friendly prices on beverages. If you’re extra keen on saving as many pennies for the weekend, Newmarket is home to ALDI – so your grocery bills will never get too high, leaving you more cash for the huge range of Uber Eats options.
Things to do
- Victoria Park Golf Course for all things Golf. The put-put and driving range make a great, reasonably priced group activity or late night activity with friends.
- A short Uber or Bus trip to the valley for some top tier nightlife and some of Australia’s most famous nightclubs
- The Newmarket Hotel for some casual mid-week beers and/or wines.
- Newmarket Cinemas is at your doorstep.
- Pepe’s Mexican
- Crust & Co: Even if you’re not an early riser, It’s worth the lineup after 7am each day for their amazing pistachio croissant’s
- Plenty of bikeways and walkways to keep you in touch with nature.
Location & Transport
It’s location between the major West and Major Northern arterial roads means public transport options are abundant.
- Newmarket Train station is only a few stops from the CBD, with trains running every 15 minutes most days.
- Direct bus routes to Kelvin Grove QUT & the City Centre for Gardens Point QUT.
- Access to Shuttle Buses from Kelvin Grove between QUT Campuses
- 16 minutes to the airport by car, and Airtrain access via Newmarket Station.