The Valley is not for the faint hearted. It is a busy, 100-miles-per-hour multicultural metropolis of activity. If you love the idea of there being always something to do at any moment of the day or night – this is the place for you. Nightclubs, Bars and Restaurants catering to every taste, style and price point imaginable will be at your doorstep, as well as a range of music and performance venues to explore niche and emerging artistry. Alternative lifestyle, freedom of self and counterculture is the norm in The Valley. So whether you’re LGBTQ, Vegan or just like to do your own thing, you’ll find like-minded individuals within this community. With the abundance of hospitality comes an abundance of student employment, and dropping in your resume to a venue can often get you an interview. Note that having your RSA and/or a barista Certificate will definitely give you a leg up.
Things to do
- The Valley Mall – Home to markets, bars and clubs alike – the time of day is the best indicator for what will be open.
- Chinatown – AMAZING Food. It could take months of dining experiences just to get through this part of the many places to eat. Most places have student friendly pricing, but Superbowl is the king of cheap feeds
- Laneway, Valley Fiesta & Brisbane Festival are among the many Music & Arts Festivals that take place here.
- Student nights tend to take place every night of the week in one venue or another, Sundays and Monday’s are particularly great, mind you.
Location & Transport
Fortitude Valley’s proximity to the City means buses, trains and airplanes (ok maybe not the last one) come every few minutes. Having a Go-Card is a must, as you’ll be hard pressed to get around easily without one. Most residents don’t own a car – so if you left the whip at home, or maybe never got around to upgrading those L’s to P’s, you won’t find yourself high and dry in this part of town.
- The Airtrain departs Fortitude Valley Station for Brisbane International and Domestic Airports every day and frequently too.
- Many International Colleges in the local area for completing your IELTS certifications before starting Uni.
- Trains will be your best bet for longer journeys, and buses are great for the shorter ones.
- 10 minutes’ walk to Gardens Point QUT.
- 10 minutes to Kelvin Grove QUT on the Bus.
- Don’t underestimate peak hour when considering an Uber or Taxi.